I made this salad for dinner tonight and it was a hit! The sweetness of the yams and the tartness of the kale danced beautifully together. The colours make this not only a delightful dish to eat but also to look at…so bright and wonderful!
- 5 small-medium yams
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large bunch kale
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. dried or fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp. chili powder
- 5 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut yams into small 1 inch cubes.
- Place yams on to baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, toss to cover all yam cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for 20 mins. Flipping half way though. Make sure not to over cook to prevent yams from becoming mushy.
- While yams are cooking, cut onions into thin strips and and mince garlic.
- Place onions and garlic in sauce pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Continue to stir till onions become transparent.
- Turn to low and cover. Allow onions to caramelize while the yams are roasting.
- Add kale to onions with a splash of water. Cover and cook until kale is tender and wilted. About 4-5 minutes.
- Remove yams and onions from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, combine yams, kale mixture, vinegar, sesame oil, chill powder, thyme and sesame seeds.
- Toss salad until mixed.
- Enjoy your tasty creation!
I paired my salad with a homemade chickpea curry.
I think it would pair wonderfully with your favourite tofu recipe and a fresh green salad or spring rolls!