Does everyone love sushi as much as I do? I love the creaminess of the avocado and the crunchiness of the raw veggies in this recipe..and of course the tofu for a satisfying protein! All my taste testers love this one! Even my sushi disliking boyfriend said “I’ll eat this sushi any day!” Success!
Makes 3 sushi rolls
- 1 C. uncooked sushi rice
- 1 1/3 C. water
- 3 nori rollers (seaweed papers)
- small block extra firm tofu.
- 1 med. grated carrot
- 1/4 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 small cucumber, cut into strips
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cut into strips
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds – optional
- Wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger for serving – optional
- Cut tofu into long strips and place in bowl with fresh ginger and soy sauce. Let sit for an hour or as time allows.
- Place rice in a strainer and rinse until water becomes clear to remove starches.
- Place rice in pot with water and set over high heat.
- Continue to stir every minute until the water boils.
- Turn down to med low heat and cover.
- Check after 6-8 minutes. The water should be absorbed if not, leave it a little longer but make sure not to burn!
- Place nori on bambu mat or cutting board ( I don’t find the mat to be necessary).
- Cover entire surface of seaweed with warm rice.
- At one end of seaweed place all veggies and tofu along edge – see picture below.
- Begin at the end with veggies and begin to tightly roll your sushi…as you would roll up a yoga mat!
- Slice sushi roll into bit size sushi and enjoy!
- Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi if you desire.
Have a great Sushi Sunday!